Friday, February 13, 2009

Peanut Allergy at 30


So, I finally had my allergy appointment yesterday. It was very interesting. I had a skin prick test done. They have this tray, and it is full of the things people are allergic to. It looks like a paint by numbers on steroids. Anyway, they took the peanut sample, dabbed it on my skin and then prick me with it, then a negative sample, and then a positive sample that contains a histamine. If the peanut reaction is the same as the positive sample reaction, then you are allergic to peanuts, and SURE enough it began to swell and a rash broke out. The best thing was, they leave it on for 15 minutes, and you can not itch it because you will then contaminate the test. So I sat there in pain until they came in and rub it off and gave me the cream to make it stop. So, I have a prescription to get my epi pens, and I have to carry epi pens and Benadryl with me every where I go. I have to start looking at the ingredients and make sure that not only does it not have peanuts in it, but that it might have been manufactored at a plant with peanuts. No peanut oil which means no Chik-fil-A and no more Five Guys ever again. I have to be that annoying customer that asks "do you use peanut oil?" or "I have a peanut allergy" GREAT!

No comments: